Skip to content

Moving and moving again…

July 7, 2013

It’s been a little over a year since I reopened the web store after being closed for our moved down to Ironton, Missouri.  As some of you know, we purchased an old Hotel builtHotel in 1906 and thought things were a wee bit better than reality.  Falling bricks and falling through floors have sometimes caused me to be a bit slow in having your orders out because some days, I just can’t make soap.   But the funny part of all of this, is that the business has continued to grow and that was after I did the first price increase on the lye soaps in 12 years~~go figure, I was hoping it would slow things down.

Mold Washing

But people love old fashioned lye soaps and most every day new customers comment on how much they enjoy our pine tar products, so it has made all of the troubles worth while.  Nothing like leaning over scrubbing pots with a garden hose along the parking lot in 100 degree heat (or in the middle of the night when it was cool)  because I had no sink for 6 months, our bath was with a garden hose in the public restrooms we now own and I wasn’t washing the soap pots in there!  We love our new “home” so I’m not complaining, more trying to explain why I am slow sometimes.  No internet for a few days because they were working on the walls and cut wires (ugh!), mortar and bricks actually fell in a pot of soap one night and that is when I said I was closing for a few months.  So things are better but going from a 3000 sq ft shop to a 500 ft room isn’t what I was planning on in a 5300 sq ft building but the good Lord does not give you things you can’t handle.  I was able to fill a 500 lb laundry soap order for a construction company in Texas that uses the soap for adobe buildings and that was challenging when the power went out and my mother and I hand grated all 500 lbs with no air conditioning and 92 percent humidity.

So now that Colin and I have decided to make the hotel back into a proper Hotel, I needed to find another soap shop.  A cute little (900 sq ft) building came on the market across the street so on the 15th of this month, it will become home to the Arcadia Valley Soap Co, the home of MoSoap!!  Now it too isn’t in the best of shape but with original tin ceilings and made of chucks of pink granite, I will have a place just for soap again.  I posted on the site that orders would be slow for the next few weeks as I start to transition the business and fix up the building.  If it’s taking too long in your opinion for me to ship your order, please just let me know and I’ll cancel it- no hard feelings and I’m happy to give you links to other soap makers.    Check out the soap makers at the Handcrafted Soap Maker Guild (http://www.soapguild.org) for some soapmakers in your area.  I’m not a member but I am sure they all make lovely soaps just like me and you might find someone local.

As always, thank you for supporting handmade products and reading!

debra

6 Comments leave one →
  1. Rhelda permalink
    July 8, 2013 4:55 am

My goodness Debts! What wonderful news. Many congratulations and continued success. Thank you for the update.

2. Chic Erickson permalink
    July 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Debra!! What is the real story here . . . you are sitting on a gold mine of business with legions of prospective customers waiting, waiting, waiting. How about you just settle down and make soap.

• July 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Wish I could! Can’t make soap if you fall through the floors though. One would think everything is dandy with a big building, but no room while construction is going on is not for me. I thought about just closing up for a year and then maybe start up again when all this construction is over as people now a days don’t like to wait for anything. I don’t make soap for the money so my motivation is different than others. I make it because that is what all the women in my family have done and I enjoy it. That’s the real story : )

3. Rhelda permalink
    July 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Oh. Was just getting ready to place an order for gifts for several gatherings coming up over the next few months, but I guess I;ll have to rethink this. Too bad, really love your soaps.
    RheldaI

• July 12, 2013 2:53 pm

The store is still open, and you can just let me know when you need them so I can get them out for you on time. But please feel free to try any of the soapmakers at http://www.soapguild.org close to you and support someone local. I can’t make soap for the whole world just a few people that have patience with me. Let me know if you need anything.

4. November 24, 2013 8:12 am

Thank you for getting my order to me so quickly, I need a couple more bars so will be reordering today, they are beautiful and my in-laws are going to love them